Choosing a funeral director to help arrange a funeral
An experienced funeral director should support you in many ways throughout the making of funeral arrangements.
When someone dies
When someone dies, the first steps you need to take will depend on how and where they died. See our useful guide to find out more.
How to register a death
Before you can begin to plan a funeral for your loved one you will need to register the death at the Registrar’s Office. It’s important that this is carried out within 5 days of receiving the medical certificate. Here we will explain how to register a death in Essex.
Probate & the will
When someone dies, you may be given the task of sorting out their property, money and other possessions, to be able to carry out this job you will need to apply for Probate. Before you begin this process you need to find out if there’s a Will as soon as you can, it may contain important instructions such as the deceased’s funeral wishes. The Will also names the executor and any beneficiaries.
Help with funeral costs
Bereavement is, without doubt, a devastating experience that can increase financial strain. If you’re in a position where you can’t afford to pay for a funeral, there are options available and you may be eligible for a Funeral Expenses Payment from the Social Fund.
Who to notify
Having to deal with the affairs of the deceased immediately after their death can be complicated and upsetting, however, sorting out these issues is an essential task that we can guide you through. If you are worried about who to tell when someone has died, our simple checklist will act as a handy guide to help you through the process.
Funeral price options
We are pleased to offer a number of price options, which include Unattended Cremation, Simple Cremation, and the Traditional Funeral package.
“From the first phone call I knew we had chosen the correct company. Martyn was very honest, helpful and professional. The hardest time made a lot easier with Martyn. 100% would recommend.”
What does a good funeral director do?
A funeral director will be experienced in all aspects of arranging a funeral, ensuring the whole process of planning and holding the funeral runs smoothly. Understanding the needs of the family and offering expert knowledge in a compassionate and caring way to guide the bereaved through a difficult time. Choosing a funeral director who can support you through each step can take a large weight off your shoulders.
The key services your funeral director should offer are:
- Care of the deceased until the day of the funeral
- Expert advice on planning the funeral ceremony and types of funeral available
- Coffin bearers and a choice of coffins
- The style of funeral transport, both hearses, and limousines
- Completion of all paperwork pertaining to the legalities of the cremation or burial
- Manage all funeral arrangements up to and including the funeral ceremony
- A detailed explanation of all aspects of funeral costs
They should also offer help and advice in relation to:
- Order of service and other funeral stationery
- Dressing the deceased
- Finding an appropriate minister or celebrant if required
- Funeral venue and catering
- Writing and placing an obituary in the local or national press
- Organising funeral flowers, online memorial pages, and donations
Finding a funeral director in Essex
By choosing a Funeral Director that is a registered SAIF member (National Society of Allied and Independent Funeral Directors), bereaved families can be assured of a compassionate, professional approach, highly trained staff, and affordability at all times, underpinned by the SAIF industry-leading Code of Practice. You can view the funeral directors SAIF code of practice here
Don’t be afraid to ask questions
Funeral directors will be happy to answer any questions you may have, to help put your mind at rest.
- Can you visit me at home to discuss funeral arrangements?
- Can you offer me advice on what to do immediately after my loved one’s death?
- Where will my loved one be kept before the funeral?
- Can I see my loved one at short notice, or many times before the funeral?
- Will I be dealing with the same person up until the day of the funeral?
- Will you be able to talk me through costs and give me a quote within my budget?
- Where can I find your Funeral Directors Reviews?
Bennetts Funeral Directors are available to answer any questions you may have and to guide you when making decisions to ensure that you are able to give your loved one the funeral that is most appropriate to them be it simple or elaborate. Bennetts Funeral Directors have ongoing bereavement support programmes, please ask for details of these.
Call 01277 210104 ( 24/7 ) or 01277 627492