Welcome to Bennetts Funeral Directors’ Privacy Notice.
Bennetts Funeral Directors respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal information. We recognise the importance of the correct and lawful treatment of personal information and we will only use personal information as set out in this Privacy Notice.
This Privacy Notice sets out how Bennetts Funeral Directors collects and uses any information that you give us.
We have appointed a Data Protection Officer (“DPO”) to oversee compliance with this Privacy Notice. If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact the DPO at:
Martyn@bennettsfunerals.co.uk or by post to: DPO, Fern House,120 High Street, Brentwood, CM14 4AS.
We may update this Privacy Notice at any time and an up to date version of this Privacy Notice will always be available on our website (https://www.bennettsfunerals.co.uk/privacy-policy/)
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes during your relationship with us.
All data subjects whose personal data is collected, in line with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation.
Under the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) personal data is defined as:
“any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
Bennetts Funeral Directors is responsible for ensuring that this notice is made available to data subjects prior to Bennetts Funeral Directors collecting/processing their personal data.
All Employees of Bennetts Funeral Directors who interact with data subjects are responsible for ensuring that this notice is drawn to the data subject’s attention and their consent to the processing of their data is secured.
Who are we?
Bennetts Funeral Directors at Head Office address: Fern House,120 High Street, Brentwood, CM14 4AS, Company Registration number 00380987.
We are primarily funeral directors and monumental masons, however we also provide wedding limousines. We additionally run various bereavement support groups within the local community.
In what capacity will Bennetts Funeral Directors hold your personal information?
During the course of providing our services, we are required to hold certain personal information about you as it is a necessary part of the service we provide.
In providing our services, we will act as both a Data Controller (whereby we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use your personal information) and Data Processor (whereby we are responsible for processing your personal information) in respect of your personal information.
How will Bennetts Funeral Directors use personal information held about you?
We will only use your personal information when the law allows us to.
We will use your personal information where it is:
- For the fulfilment of your funeral service
- To enabling permission being sought and thereafter headstones being erected
- To enable information to be able to be delivered to bereavement groups regarding outings
- To enable information to be given regarding events such as the annual memorial service
- To enable future contact regarding cremated remains, fingerprints and jewellery collection
- To enable future contact regarding pre-payment plans
Our legal basis for processing for the personal data:
- Fulfilment of a contract
- Continued Support
- To enable future contact regarding pre-payment plans
Any legitimate interests pursued by us, or third parties we use, are as follows:
- For the fulfilment of the funeral service
- To enable future contact regarding pre-payment plans
The special categories of personal data concerned are:
- Religious Beliefs
- Bereavement support
How is your personal information collected?
We collect the personal information directly from you or in some cases from a third party. It is provided using the following methods:
- Through our Website enquiry form
- Other electronic formats i.e pdf attachment to an email or within the body of an email
- Matter specific questionnaires we send to you
- By telephone
- In person
- Through the post
What personal information may Bennetts Funeral Directors hold about you?
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you:
- Full name and title
- Contact information (i.e home or correspondence address, email address, telephone numbers)
- Date of Birth
- National Insurance Number
- Financial details (i.e bank account details)
- Identification documents i.e copy passport or driving licence
- Proof of address documents i.e copy utility bills or bank statements
- Information about a deceased
Under what circumstances may Bennetts Funeral Directors contact me?
Our aim is not to be intrusive, and we undertake not to ask irrelevant or unnecessary questions. Moreover, the information you provide will be subject to rigorous measures and procedures to minimise the risk of unauthorised access or disclosure.
If you fail to provide personal information
If you fail to provide certain information when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have entered into with you or we may be prevented from complying with our legal or regulatory obligations. In such a situation we may no longer be able to proceed with your matter and provide you with our services.
Change of purpose
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
By consenting to this privacy notice you are giving us permission to process your personal data specifically for the purposes identified.
Consent is required for Bennetts Funeral Directors to process both types of personal data, but it must be explicitly given.
Where we are asking you for sensitive personal data we will always tell you why and how the information will be used.
You may withdraw consent at any time by contacting us to update your preferences.
Bennetts Funeral Directors will not pass on your personal data to third parties without first obtaining your consent. The following third parties may receive your personal data for the following purposes:
- A local crematorium for the purpose of organising cremation of the deceased or ashes interment
- A local cemetery for the purpose of organising burial of the deceased or memorial requirements
- A nominated celebrant for the purpose of arranging details of the funeral service and or memorial requirements
- A local musician for the purpose of liaising with you for your musical choices for the funeral service
- Bereavement Group or Counsellor for additional bereavement support
- Debt recovery agencies and solicitors regarding non-payment of accounts
Bennetts Funeral Directors will process personal data for as long as is necessary to allow us to fulfil our services and will store the personal data indefinitely on our computer system and in paper format for seven years. The personal information can be removed from our computer system on request.
Your rights as a data subject
At any point while we are in possession of or processing your personal data, you, the data subject, have the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
- Right to judicial review: in the event that Bennetts Funeral Directors refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why.
All of the above requests will be forwarded on should there be a third party involved (as stated above) in the processing of your personal data.
We have put in place measures to protect the security of your information. Details of these measures are available upon request.
Third parties will only process your personal information on our instructions and where they have agreed to treat the information confidentially and to keep it secure.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
A cookie is a small file that is stored on your computer when you visit the website again, it is recognised as a repeat visit by means of the cookie. The cookie cannot be used to identify you on websites of third parties. The cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site.
Links to other websites
Our website may include links to third party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
In the event you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by Bennetts Funeral Directors (or third parties as described above), or how your complaint has been handled, you have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the supervisory authority and Bennetts Funeral Directors.
The details for each of these contacts are:
Supervisory authority contact details
Contact name: Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone: 0303 123 1113
Bennetts Funeral Directors
Contact name: Jane Bennett
Address: Fern House, 120 High Street, Brentwood Essex CM14 4AS
Telephone: 01277 210104