A guide to organising a funeral reception
Different endings need different goodbyes
Sometimes referred to as the wake, the funeral reception held after the funeral service can be a traditional or unique affair. As personalised funerals become more popular, people are choosing to use this time to celebrate the life of their loved one rather than mourn their passing.
Whether you’re planning a traditional funeral reception or a more casual get-together, this time importantly provides an opportunity to gather extended families together to say goodbye to a loved one, offer support to the bereaved and share memories of the person who has passed away.
Announcing the funeral reception
The reception can either be a public or private gathering, so when organising, you will need to be clear about what is required from family, friends and acquaintances. Close family members will need to be contacted personally with the details of the reception.
The address and brief directions to the reception venue can be printed on the back of the Order of Service used at the funeral ceremony. If the reception is going to be a private affair for family members only, then you should provide this information in the Order of Service as well. You can also choose to direct queries about the reception directly to Bennetts Undertakers and we can pass on the details on your behalf.
Points to remember when planning and arranging a funeral reception
- Number of guests – If you are expecting a large attendance at the funeral service then the venue you choose for the wake will need to be large enough to accommodate all your guests.
- The venue – this usually takes place at a pub, a hotel or sports/social club close to where the funeral has taken place but you could also consider other venues such as your home, church hall, a coffee shop, a restaurant or a golf club
- Catering – you will need to decide the amount and type of food you wish to serve and if you want caterers to organise this or if you will be providing home made food and drinks. You may choose to serve your loved one’s favourite food and drink. Some venues will offer a bar service and catering facilities. Bennetts provide a high quality catering service for a wide range of events. Our choice of menus provide a varied selection of foods from around the world to suit all tastes and occasions.
- Entertainment – As funeral receptions become more of a celebration of life, some people opt to organise live music, a singer or band, slide shows, photographs – Some people choose to display photographs of their loved one or have a slide show.
- Reception cost – how much you want to spend on the venue, catering etc. We will be able to advise on approximate costs.
- Timings – Depending on the time of the funeral, we will be able to give an approximate time of when the guests will start to arrive at the venue. You may decide that you only want guest to stay for a certain length of time, if this is the case we can advise the venue.
Over many years Bennetts Funeral Directors have established strong working relationships with venues across the county of Essex. If you are arranging a funeral, we can suggest locations and provide information to help you decide on the most appropriate funeral reception for your friends and family.